5 Best Anti-Oxidant Foods for Your Skin
We are what we eat and the healthier we eat the fitter we get. A good diet not only contributes significantly to our overall health and well being but can also drastically improve the condition of our skin and hair. The key to achieving a smooth, supple, glowing skin lies in eating a diet rich in anti-oxidants.
Anti-oxidants are substances which inhibit oxidation to combat free-radical damage that leads to skin changes. They are also responsible for cellular regeneration and blocking harmful impact of pollution and sun on the skin. While our bodies naturally produce anti-oxidants, the free-radicals outnumber the natural supply making it mandatory to supplement the body’s requirement through consuming anti-oxidant rich foods.
We bring to you our recommendations of Must-have foods rich in anti-oxidants along with Skin Care Beauty Products, tips and tricks on how to easily include them in your everyday diet. In case you are expecting a compilation of unexciting, insipid foods, then you are in for a surprise.
1. Almonds – Almoalmondsnds often bring back memories of the exam season. Popularly considered a brain-food, soaked almonds are used to sharpen our memory. However, that’s not where the benefits of this super food end. Almonds contain gamma-tocopherol, a type of vitamin E, known for fighting free-radical damage often linked to skin cancer. It is also rich source of Catechin and Flavonals which reverse the oxidation process while debilitating the impact of sun damage and pollution on the skin.
How to consume: Top your desserts with almonds or roast them with salt for a tasty evening snack
2. Chocolates – Surprised? Don’t be. Extracted from cocoa beans, Chocolates are one of
the richest sources of anti-oxidants on the planet. As per research, dark chocolates (with over 70% cocoa content) work as potent mood lifter and aphrodisiac and can significantly reduce blood pressure levels. It is also rich source of biologically active organic compounds such as Polyphenols, Flavanols and Catechins which function as anti-oxidants making chocolate a great food for skin.
How to consume – Do you really need an excuse to have it? Just go ahead and indulge
3. Strawberries – Strawberries are undoubtedly one of the tastiest fruits on Earth. Its succulence, sweet-sour taste and beautiful red colour make them irresistible. They are a rich source of anti-oxidant- ellagic acid which prevents collagen break-down and protects skin from UV damage. It also has high dietary fibre making it an apt fruit for weight watchers. Strawberries are a powerhouse of folic acid which helps in cell regeneration and offer mature skincare benefits.
How to consume – Add them to smoothies, milkshakes and fruit salads for a healthy wholesome breakfast
4. Green Tea – While green tea is consumed copiously across the globe for its weight reducing begreen-teanefits, the mature skincare properties of green tea are often overlooked. A rich source of Catechins, green tea is known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidation effects. It also contains
Polyphenols which prevents various forms of cancer.
How to consume – Brew a pot of green tea, add a few drops of lemon and grab your favorite book. Now sit back and relax. You could also add Green tea to cookies and cakes for an innovative evening snack option.
5. Red Wine – In 1819, an Irish Physician observed an interesting phenomenon which later came to be known as the “French Paradox”. He noted that Frenwinech suffered relatively low incidences of coronary heart diseases despite consuming a diet rich in mono-saturated fats. The secret to the French’s healthy hearts is none other than the sinful red wine. Made from fermented grapes, it is a rich source of Flavonoid polyphenols, which are known for cell regeneration, preventing collagen break-down and improving heart health. However, excess of anything is always bad. One glass of red wine a day will not only strengthen your heart condition but would also keep you stay healthy forever.
How to consume – Settle down with a glass after a hard day’s work or uncork a bottle to ring in the good times with family and friends.