Millions of people like you and me make resolutions every year to lead healthier lives and achieve a fitter body. But given our sedentary lifestyles, it is almost next to impossible to make lasting changes to our bodies, without spending thousands on gym memberships or spending hours obsessing over diet and exercise. And this is precisely why fitness bands have caught the fancy of every fitness aspirant out there.
While the fitness bands have seen a strong surge in demand, it is yet to be seen whether it is the perfect companion of fitness enthusiasts or just another technological fad. After all, who needs a wrist band to tell you that you have been a sloth through the day? But on closer inspection, fitness bands seem to be one of the best ways to kick-start your fitness regime and maintain it in a disciplined fashion too.
However, before you invest in a fitness band for a health revolution in your life, here is a rundown of pros and cons of the fitness bands available in the market –
- Easy to wear and captures physical activities every second.
- Some of them even track your sleep pattern.
- Provides valuable information about calories burnt.
- Tells you about the active and inactive periods during the day.
- Offers alternatives to workout and helps you get better results.
- Keeps a record of your activities and allows you to share it with your friends.
- Acts as a brilliant motivational tool.
- Most fitness bands are not water proof and hence need to be removed while swimming.
- Many fitness bands need to be paired with a mobile app for complete information. Setting them up can be quite a hassle.
- The data captured may vary from band to band putting the accuracy under scanner.
- The technology still has a long way to go and you might end up spending a bomb for something that is still not perfect.
Before buying a fitness band, it is of utmost importance to understand your requirements. There are various players in the market that offer feature packed fitness bands. And, it is not advised to get swayed by the fancy features that might be of little or no value to you.
There are many players in the market that you might want to consider like Jawbone, Runtastic, Nike Fuel, Mio and Gramin. Goqi offers something unique in the form of a personal coach. However, their model is subscription based and you will have to renew your subscription as per your plan. Fitbit offers a perfect package of style and user-friendly interface. Fitbit Charge and Fitbit Surge are two of its most promising offering with Android, Windows, Mac, iOS and web compatibility. Given a choice, we will pick Fitbit.
Before you write them off as a fad, try them and experience a lifestyle change first hand!